Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Dianne Miller

Dianne Miller Yellow Pineapple SVBAQ Quilt
In this post, I am featuring Dianne Miller from North Attleboro, MA - USA.

Dianne started her Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt (SVBAQ) in June 2015 when the pattern was first released by the Virginia Quilt Museum.  She generously shared photos of her blocks and gave me permission to share them with you.

As we know, there is not one right way to make a quilt.  It is always interesting to have a quilter share their technique.  Dianne is a prolific quilter and quilt teacher.  She also collects and restores vintage and antique quilts.

Dianne also tracks her time - each pineapple block took her about 12 hours.


When asked about her technique, Dianne gave me this information:
"I do all my appliqué off the Lightbox, tracing each piece/area with a very dry Sharpie ultra-fine, drawing directly on the right side of fabric. 
No templates are involved. 
Then I needle-turn appliqué each piece. 
There is a lot of cut work into the straight of the grain. For instance, on the Tiger Lily I drew the stems and leaves as one piece, cutting a little at a time as I made my way around the block. 
I pin all my pieces with sequin pins, and all pieces are on the block while appliquéing. I never draw on the background square....if a piece falls off, I just refer to the artwork on the Lightbox to re-position."
In a future post I will show pictures of Dianne's process with her light box.



When asked about her preferred supplies, Dianne replied,  " I use Gingher 4" embroidery scissors for cutting and clipping. John James #10 or 11 sharps for needles. YLI silk 100 wt. or Mettler 60 wt. for threads."

Dianne teaches at Emma's Quilt Cupboard in Franklin, Ma.  Her students are currently making, 'A Bountiful Life' by Karen Mowery.  The book/pattern is an authorized adaptation of the Bird of Paradise quilt top, sometimes called the Civil War Bride quilt.

Dianne also has an applique group that meets in her home studio.  They have been meeting for years and have formed a strong bond of friendship through their mutual love of appliqe and antique quilts.


Thank you for sharing Dianne!  We look forward to seeing more of your techinques, studio and of course your Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt blocks. 

10 comments:

  1. It will be fun to see each person's interpretation of this beautiful quilt. Interesting idea about tracing the applique shape onto the fabric using a light box.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So interesting to see how unique each person's interpretation looks. Just came from Karen's blog, and though the blocks may be from the same pattern, they look so very different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty blocks. I never thought about tracking my time. Not sure I really want to know how much time I spend stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dianne's blocks are wonderful! What a talented quilter!
    I really enjoyed reading about her and the process she uses for her Applique' work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that's an interesting applique method. I guess it would be like doing thread stitching from the back only marked on the front in permanent ink. You would definitely have to get it covered. I look forward to pictures of her work as she is doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful blocks and I like the idea of tracking time and it is interesting to read about the different methods that people use for their applique.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting process. I like her pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting - no templates - and such delicate beautiful work. Twelve hours is an investment!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!