Monday, December 30, 2013

19th Century Noah and Matilda Album Quilt

82" x 94"  Noah and Matilda Album Quilt
The Noah and Matilda Album Quilt is part of our collection.  Well worn and loved we have created a pattern set for you to reproduce the quilt.

We are still researching the inked names and date on the quilt.

It is primarily red and green applique.  Several blocks have pieces of pink, yellow and purple.
Some blocks are accented with embroidery.

Each of the four border corners is unique and included in the pattern set mid way through the year.



Presentation Block Inking



The presentation block is hard to read.   The inking gives us clues and questions in researching this quilt.

Is the last name "Boyer" or "Boyce"

"United Lawrenceburg"  or  "Visited S.....by"

I think we could all agree the month of September is clear.

Is the date the "Sixth in 1851."  or "Sixteenth of 1854"

What do you see?







Some of the blocks are embellished with embroidery.

Interesting to see green stems outlined in red, orange and yellow embroidery.


A few green tendrils and stems are also embroidered.





There are Forty-Two Eight inch blocks in the complete pattern set as well as the border.  
The 12 monthly pattern sets are not in the order they appear in the quilt.  Each set will be available the first of each month for 12 months.
Instead, we grouped them with a variety each month.  Midway through the year we will start the borders.  I prefer not to wait to the end to do my borders.
We are doing this pattern as individual use .pdf files that are immediately delivered to your email address.  You print them on your home printer.
Order details are on the right side of the blog. Or, click HERE for month one.

What do you read in the inking?

Have a wonderful 2014!!


20 comments:

  1. This is awesome.
    I think it is BOYCE
    Lawrenceburg
    6th September 1851
    I'm off to order the fort pattern set!
    Thanks - Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely quilt! It has so much personality in the details! I think it's wonderful that you make up patterns for these older quilts--preserving our roots.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful quilt!
    I will leave the interpretation to better eyes than mine. I love the close view of the multi-colored stitching. Does it look planned or 'make do"? I wouldn't expect "make do" on such a showpiece quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful idea, Dawn. I ordered the first month's set. I am assuming I will have to order each set as it becomes available.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beautiful project! I think the last name is Boyce. Not sure about the rest. Is your daughter still working with you on the patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, the block sets will be available the first of each month.
    The "we" in the post is my daughter. We collaborate on all of the patterns together. She is a wonderful quilting partner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations - Another beautiful pattern creation!! I would guess at "united" and "Boyce", and possibly "sixth in 1851" assuming a bit of a shaky hand ?? Happy New Year!
    Hilda

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic quilt! I see Boyce in the last name. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful quilt this is! Just wonderful! Too bad I'm not into applique as much anymore. lol! I do love it though. Happy 2014!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like I need to shop for background fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a treasure! I think the name is Boyce but it would be interesting to know which Lawrenceburg (IN, TN or KY) they may be referring to. Since it does look like a wedding quilt I would say it says "united" and I read the date as the sixth 1854. I'd love to see it in person! Thanks for making the patterns available.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, I'm in!!! I just purchased the first month. It's a beautiful quilt!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's a beautiful quilt and what a treasure. Thanks for sharing it. I bought my first set of block patterns and can't wait to pick out fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful quilt!! I love applique!!! Thank you for drawing up the patterns. I have just printed out the first set.

    I think the date is 1854.

    Happy New Year Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This quilt is gorgeous!! I'm only a so-so appliquer, but I'll give it a try. I'm in and looking forward to this lovely challenge. How lucky we are to have dedicated quilt lovers like you and your daughter who take the time to create the patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing "Boyce", and after a quick google search for "Noah Boyce" "Matilda Boyce" -- those two names are listed together in several entries.
    This lovely quilt is just too beautiful and tempting to resist. I'm in and just downloaded the first month's patterns. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I tried to enhance your photo, made it sharper and almost black and white. To me it reads
    Noah Boyce
    and
    Matilda Boyce
    United [meaning wed] Lawrenceburg
    Spetember
    Sixth 1851

    Are there other inscriptions? Maybe they will provide clues about the state, etc.

    Doesn t the heavy embroidery rather look like an old mending job?

    robin [lizzy] at gone to the beach

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh Dawn you have drawn me in once again. Beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Dawn, I'm excited about this quilt! I'm debating whether to make my version with modern fabrics or traditional, I can see it both ways so I'll have to play around with fabric (oh noooo! heehee ;-) Thank you so much for offering these patterns!!
    - Paula in Sac

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dawn, The inscription is very interesting. I own the old Noah and Matilda Boyce farm in the Appalachian Mountains of NC. I wonder if these are the one and same? If so, Noah was a freed slave and Matilda was a full blooded, 100%, Cherokee Indian. She is buried on my property. Local legend has it she went to town once in her 92 years. The only discrepancy I see is the fact Matilda was born around 1851

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!