Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Loaning Quilts

My Franklin Stars Quilt
I like to think I am generous when it comes to loaning and sharing my quilts.  Although, some might say I am not when it comes to sharing photos.  It is all personal choice.

This quilt, Franklin Stars is currently on loan at my cities community center.

They have a rotating quilt every month to share with the community.  I chose this one because I think it appeals to men and women.

It also reminds me of my friend Jeananne - who owns the original.  She is very generous sharing her quilts.




The more you look at this quilt, the more you might find...unusual today by modern standards.
* Bordered on only two sides
* Even scrappier as it gets towards the bottom rows
* Inset setting diamonds, rather than pieced triangles
* Wide back to front binding
* Home dyed osnaburg backing
The more you look, the more you see...
It was a fun project to do with Jeananne and we both came away with quilts we love!
She purchased the vintage quilt in Franklin, Tennessee years ago.




I also loaned this quilt for the Minnesota Quilt Project "Ruby Anniversary" exhibit at the Minnesota Quilt Show this month.

They are very organized and professional with their paperwork regarding loans and insurance.  Must be the 40 years of experience!













See the circle? I pinned a ribbon on so viewers could see the date in the quilting.

I have been able to read the year, 1888.

However I have not been able to make out the letters above the year.  I used photoshop and other tools to no avail.

I am guessing it is her name or the month.










This is the alternate block without the lettering.

Beautiful hand quilting.

All hand sewn - piecing and quilting.














The name comes from Brackman's Encyclopedia of pieced blocks.

The block has other names in later eras.  No Wonder.

Imagine the conversation..."I made the wandering lover quilt for..."

Always a fun quilt to share.








On the subject of sharing, I recently declined to share my quilts and sewing tools at a specific facility. It was a great opportunity to review my insurance and network with others who share their collections.

In the paperwork I received I noted the following clause:
Hold Harmless Statement: I agree to enter the above item and abide by the quilt exhibit rules and decisions of the jury. I understand the XYZ Museum will take every precaution to protect the entry exhibited and that no responsibility for loss of damage to my entry can be assumed by the XYZ Museum or any other entity.

This was highly unusual - I've seen a lot of agreements for shows and exhibits.  I contacted my insurance companies.  Both my home owners and a specialty company for collections.  Both saw HUGE red flags.  Both said by agreeing to a hold harmless I would not be covered, regardless of the policies or appraisals.  One said if I were desperate I could exhibit but wouldn't be insured.  The other offered a special policy but the museum would have to provide their loss report and I would have to pay a large premium.  Not worth the hassle or expense. I declined exhibit. 

I thought about it - and contacted my "network" of quilt appraisers, lawyers, collectors and exhibitors - maybe I need new insurance?  Is this a new trend?

NO

All responded (graciously with long responses) that this is highly unusual and they wouldn't loan under a hold harmless either.


The other thing I learned from my insurance discussions is in the event of damage to one of my quilts, I still want the quilt.  That isn't always possible.  It pays to ask lots of detailed questions!

Bottom line:
* Review the paperwork you sign and do not trust the borrower to look out for your interests

* Talk to your insurance company with the DETAILS.

* An appraisal doesn't mean you are covered

UPDATE:  This facility give different paperwork for different exhibits.  Read the fine print even for a repeat loan at one location.


Let's keep loaning our quilts, and expect them to be treated and like the works of art they are!


Have a great week,
Dawn

15 comments:

  1. Hw very interesting. I do not have vintage or antique items that I would be loaning but, if I did, I would expect the utmost care be given and some responsibility if damaged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's important to know this applies to newly made quilts as well as antique and vintage quilt. In my recent example, it was a newly made Quilt.

      Delete
  2. Interesting information, Dawn.It pays to pay close attention to details. I'm sure everyone is enjoying the two quilts you were able to share. Quilters in general are a sharing bunch.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's great to share and expect our interests to be protected as well.

      Delete
  3. Dawn gracias por compartir fotos de tus magníficos edredones.
    Seria para mi un sueño poder visitar estos museos y sus exhibiciones alguna vez.
    Siento que las compañías de seguros son tan complicados cuando se trata de asegurar de una obra de arte
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estoy de acuerdo, siempre lea la documentación completa. espero que puedas visitar pronto

      Delete
  4. I have never given this subject much thought and I should. I do like what you said at the end though "let's keep loaning our quilts and expect them to be treated like the works of art they are" they are indeed! I love the red and white quilt you loaned out - classic pattern, beautiful quilting - I wish you could read her initials - wonderful to have the date anyway!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still hoping to figure out what she "wrote".

      Delete
  5. Great post Dawn. All of these details are very important and we must remember to be careful and read paperwork and read your insurance policy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another good, informative posting Dawn!It sure pays to know about the fine lines on documents to be signed...So nice to see you at the Minnesota show and attend your lecture Saturday. It was a sweet ending to a lovely all around visit for us. Have a good rest of the summer and looking forward to your new book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful seeing you as well. I'm so glad your visit to Minnesota was fun filled.

      Delete
  7. Well, that was not a nice thing to do by that museum. The easy way out I think and you are right not to lend them any of your things. They should not only be responsible but also take responsibility and just insure their exhibtions (3rd party liability or whatever, how that works in the art world and/or in the US). Looks like they do not want to spend that money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and still find their lack of responsibility disappointing.

      Delete
  8. Stunning and inspiring work. Def pls keep us posted, I need those colors!

    lizzy at gone to the beach

    lizzzz.d@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry, I posted my comment on the next post here, wrong spot. Pls disregard that comment and this one. sorry

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!