Tuesday, March 29, 2011

My Red & White Quilt

Just returned from a long weekend in New York City and had a wonderful time.  We went to The American Folk Art Museum presentation:  Infinite Variety Three Centuries of Red and White Quilts.  It was spectacular.  Thank you Joanna Rose & Family.

I met up a few friends and in conversations with my husband we discovered I didn't know how many quilts I have, nor did I have them documented.  Somewhere in the course of the weekend I decided to document my collection, and share it with you!

What better quilt to begin with - my red work quilt.  This quilt was purchased recently in Whittier CA, at an antique mall.  It has exquisite hand quilting.  I will share additional photos later this month.

I also collect antique needlework tools, school girl samplers and scissors.  I will work them into the post every chance I get.  In this photo I've included one of my child's sewing machines.  The Coats & Clarks thread holder has crochet thread.  I also have a fun stash of vintage laces and crochet hooks.  

We also went to the Masterworks From The American Folk Art Museum and the Super Stars Exhibits.  Very inspiring.   I am working on a reproduction of the Bird of Paradise/Civil War Bride Quilt so it was interesting to see it in person.

4 comments:

Kathie said...

welcome to blogland!
Looking forward to seeing some of your work as well!
Kathie

Wendy W said...

This blogging thing is fun Dawn. Welcome to our world xx Wendy

Sharon P said...

Hi Dawn, so glad you have a blog! Will be lovely to hear all about your collections.
hugs,
Sharon

libbyquilter said...

the tiny Sew-O-Matic caught my eye in this post as i purchased one for myself last year and have been totally tickled with it~!!~

love your blog and seeing your documentation has been fun and interesting~!

:-)
libbyQ