Monday, April 18, 2011

Minnesota Hex's by Way of Texas Quilt c. 1890

We lived part-time in Texas for three years on a work related project.  Having read about the Round Top sales for years it was on the list of weekend outings.  We had a productive and fun day!
This particular dealer had a spindle bed setup in his booth and was turning through the quilts far a shopper ahead of us.  Lucky for me she passed this one by!  I still wasn't sure I should bring it home with me...DH said it would haunt me forever if I didn't, and I had yet to buy a quilt in Texas...but I still had to think about it and left.
Since I now own it, you know it was there when I returned.  I was talking to the dealer and he said there had been a group of ladies he thought for sure were going to buy it - who ever you are thanks for passing!
He also mentioned he was from Minnesota and the quilt came from an estate sale in my home state - 1,900 miles away!  The maker was a Lanesboro, Minnesota lady in her 80's.  It was meant to be, the quilt was going back 'home'.
The quilt is in mint condition and has a variety of fabrics.




Look at the dark red on red - it works!


The main red is a print.  Perhaps a chemical dye, alizarin, such a bright crimson.


These flowers have matching petal fabrics and the center hex matches the outer ring fabric.














This flower has alternating prints on the outer ring.


Its flipped back so you can see the backing - a mourning print maybe?


There are partial flowers along the edge.  The backing is folded around to form the binding, and hand stitched down.










  Neon Illumination Prints




Improvised plaid - a substitute in order to finish the flower.


The quilt is hand pieced and hand quilted.  The hand quilting lines follow each seam around the hexagonThe entire quilt is quilted in cream thread, no visible knots.

Thank you for stopping by!

13 comments:

  1. What a find! I love the red path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is wonderful - so vibrant. I am happy that those ladies "saved" it for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another delightful quilt. love the red!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my but this is… dare I say… ravishing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! It is wonderful - isn't it great to find such treasures?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a gorgeous quilt. I've never seen one with a red path before. Also love your Frederica Josephson quilt. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful and wow how lucky were you that it was from your state, Minn.! it was just meant to be.
    that red one is interesting. looks like a lot of interesting fabrics
    congrats on being able to buy it
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely! How fun that it made its way "home"!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just found your blog and enjoyed looking around a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Neat story Dawn, and beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful find! Something to treasure and study. Lovely colours!
    I also love your 'hexy stars'.
    Thank you for your comment on my blog too.
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Dawn,
    I was interested in the thread holder with a hole. I found a tiny wooden coffee pot with a hole in the side and was not sure what it was....even a small old spool of thread doesn't go all the way down but I don't know what else it could be. I will post on my blog
    soon with some other thread storage items I've collected and you can let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!