Thursday, April 7, 2011

Log Cabin

OK, Imagine me balancing on the foot board of the bed, with my camera, trying to get a shot of the complete quilt - well, OK, maybe don't imagine that...


This log cabin was purchased on Mother's Day during an adventure with my DS.  Whatever you want mom is what the coupon in the card read....it could have been worse than lunch and a trip to a small antique shop in Hopkins Minnesota!  It was a glorious day.


This was another 'found sandwhich' quilt.  It was covered in some rayon med century home dec that was in terrible condition.  I could see through some of the tears that the inside had great potential.  Besides its great weight it looked like a great assortment of fabrics - and I love fabrics.  At minimum it held promise for a great fabric study quilt.






Once I got it home I removed the tattered covering, soaked it in the tub, dried it on the tile with a fan (it required a few turns) and was thrilled with the results.


Reproduction Sampler


It is the heaviest quilt I have.  I've heard them referred to as 'up north' quilts.  The kind that holds you down in bed in the coldest of a Northen Winter Nights... when you can see your breath in the morning at the cabin.

This little linen sampler I stitched years ago.  It has a hem stitched edge and is top mounted in the frame.  The sewing case has a velvet cover and silk lining.  The 'pages' still have the pins on the wools tabs.


Another reproduction sampler (much older era than the quilt) with a wonderful burl wood handmade frame.  The leather needle case had gold embossed letters - from London.

What an interesting variety of fabrics.  The contrast of the black and dark blues really 'pop' with the red centers.

Notice the use of reds also as 'darks'.

The quilt is tied with a red cotton - like a sugar and cream 'yarn'.


With a fabric study quilt - you have to have close ups of the fabrics!   Check out the pinks as lights - and reds as darks.
There are solids, stripes, plaids, dots, shirtings, paisley, and more.

The blocks are 4.5" and each fabric is 3/4" - just enough to see what the fabric print is all about.

Note the diagonal and straight stripes.

Each time I take this one out for a refolding I see fabrics I had not noticed before.

The fabrics are all in good condition, and the batting is most likely heavy, heavy cotton...unless its heavy because an even older quilt is inside!  Have not been brave enough to pick at some stitches to take a look- yet



Here's another close up with the reds and pinks together in the center - really glows from a distance.

I have a similar reproduction illuminated black and blue in my stash that I have yet to use.  Maybe I should cut some more black for my log cabin project.

Note the corner where the four block 'meet'.





Here's a closer look at a block.

This is the first notice I made of the brown with the leaf.  How did I miss that before?  The reason I always have to visit a quilt multiple times...

How many prints are there - someday I should make a list, but I guess over 100, and the span of years?  Multiple decades I suspect.  For now, I think they are all cotton.  However, next time I pull it out maybe I will make a new discovery.

I'll keep you posted....


My own little project.  I stopped working on it 2 years ago and didn't leave myself any notes so I'll have to regroup and pick up where I left off.

These are 4 of the unfinished blocks.  Now, I'm thinking I need some additional black, reds and pinks to liven it up!

Time to go raid the stash - or better yet - do some fabric shopping.

Take Care - Dawn

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your new blog. I am an enthusiastic lurker, and I know I will hang on every word and picture you post. I love the addition of encluding your vintage sewing treasures. I share your passion for these items from the fancy to the humble. Feel free to post long and often.
    kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see more!! That quilt turned out to be a real tresure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your log cabin blocks are well on their way to becoming as fabulous as the antique one that you share here~!!~

    every time i see an old log cabin quilt i feel the itch to make one and seeing your new one makes me feel the same.

    :-)
    libbyQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn! I was sent over by Helene in Denmark. Thank you for sharing your wonderful quilts - new and old! This log cabin is breathtaking. What a dream to find a gem like this. Please tell us if you muster up the courage to discover why it is so heavy. Your log cabin blocks are beautiful! Warm greetings, Una in Norway

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this SL chart and your sampler really makes me want to start it immediately !
    Anne from France

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have this SL chart and your sampler really makes me want to start it immediately !
    Anne from France

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!