Friday, April 15, 2016

Tiger Lily

This is my Tiger Lily block for the Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album Quilt.
All of my blocks for this project are stitched using back basting and needle turn appliqué.

The leaves are one piece across, then covered by the stem. Like Esther, I used two green prints.

I basted the orange flowers as one piece. Thank you Shona for the print! The yellow circles cover the center - smaller than a dime.

I almost used a peach for the buds, but stuck with a double pink.

All inking was done before stitching.



The bud stems are embroidered.
I added a little green stitch at the base of each flower bud.

The Shenandoah Valley Botanical Album blog is filled with tips and hints.  If you haven't already, you might like to spend some time looking at the tabs. HERE. This month Doreen included instructions on her narrow bias stems HERE.

I'm linking up with other blogging friends who are stitching this project HERE.  You can also checkout our Facebook page: HERE.  I hope you join us!
Confession:  I still need to stitch my pineapple blocks!  
Have a great week,
Dawn

16 comments:

  1. So delicate, and such beautiful stitching. This is my favorite block so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A new lovely block!! I love the delicacy of this design and your choice of fabrics is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your little block is beautiful!
    The embroidered stems are so delicate looking and your fabrics are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty block! Beautiful color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--those are some skinny pieces--beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a gorgeous block--has a fragile feel to me. Kind of wispy and delicate. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see you did some embroidery for this block. I would do the same in this smaller size block. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your fabric choices, really like this block.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those leaves are really small. "Petje af" as we say here (Hat off). I like your colorchoice, speacially the orange is super.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty, very delicate with that embroidery. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like all the tiny details you've included. Hope your Tiger Lilies are protected from the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your Tiger Lily is so pretty! The applique is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your applique work is just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful! Love the details.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely Dawn! Beautiful colours and delicate stems :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Amazing stitching. Such a lively little piece--love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!