Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Charming Idiosyncrasies


Ann's Original Inspiration Doll Quilt
The Summer 2018 Issue of Primitive Quilts and Projects is another great issue!
Ann Hermes, Notes From The Quilt Lab patterned a sweet wool table topper, "Reel Hearts"  and asked me to make an appliqué doll quilt like her original inspiration.

The timing was perfect.  I was looking for a small portable piece to work on during vacation - - a while ago!






I especially like that the magazine not only accepted, but appreciated the "charming idiosyncrasies"of the original quilt.

I made mine with the wide binding, rounded "eased" corners and mismatched heart shapes. I even copied the hand quilting lines.

Those of us who love antique little quilts know it's those "charming idiosyncrasies" that help make them so special.

It is almost harder to make them this way than "perfect".


Ann's wool topper uses hand dyed felted wool.

She incorporated the colors of a summer garden.

Beautiful photography with the bird, threads, buttons and scissors.

Mine is on the right side in green and cream.  The colors of the original 1870's green...or a bed of hostas.





The binding is the widest I've ever used on a little quilt.  It's always fun to try new to me finishes.

The corners on the original were eased into a gentle curve - so that's what I did. Again, new to me.   Each corner is slightly different.

I love it, I think it is not only charming but fun.

I am glad the editors thought so too.







The hand quilting is minimal.

Outlined close to the appliqué. with some larger arcs between the motifs.

The pattern includes the four variations in the heart shapes - you can make your hearts all the same or all unique.







I have an extra issue to send to someone lucky.
Thank you Ann and Primitive Quilts and Projects.

Leave me a comment and I'll draw at random next week.

Are you a wool or cotton maker?

What colors will you use?

Happy Stitching.

Dawn




31 comments:

  1. Congratulations Dawn!! How exciting! Your quilt looks marvellous in the magazine - I will be on the lookout for a copy :0) I like that you kept in the charming, variable shapes of the original. I am a maker with cotton -I've never dabbled in wool and have no desire to. There are just oodles of quilts I want to make with cotton - I'll never get them all made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Je suis fan de mini quilts (voir mon instagram) , serait heureuse de recevoir ce magazine ! Félicitations pour votre doll quilt ! je suis plus coton que laine . J'ai reproduit dernièrement le petit quilt d'Ann paru dans Simply Vintage .Amitiés

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Translation: I'm a fan of mini quilts (see my instagram), would be happy to receive this magazine! Congratulations on your doll quilt! I am more cotton than wool. I recently played Ann's little quilt in Simply Vintage.

      Delete
  3. I am a cotton maker. Love your quilt! I would choose bright summer colors. Thanks for the chance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty. I have a green affliction lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your doll quilt and how it looks so much like the original. I am a cotton person and would use something in the green family. Can't rule out a nice red either. Maybe do one of each color. Thank you for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a fun issue! I do use wool on cotton—appliqué is so much more enjoyable with wool! I’m pretty sure I would be using blue !

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet little quilt, and I love that term "idiosyncracies." Totally appropriate for most of my work, lol! Looks like a fun issue, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute table topper. A nice little something to make in between!
    I use cotton and love reds and blues.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this is lovely! I love Hawaiian quilts and this reminds me of those. I tend to use cotton, but I love wool and would love to try wool applique sometime. Of course, I haven't quilted in a few years, so this is theoretical at this point. lol! But it would be nice to start again with something small like this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun project this must have been to make, Dawn! And what charming results, both of them! I love the different heart shapes, and fhe rounded edges for the wide binding. I will see if I can purchase a copy of this issue overhere, because it looks like a great holiday-project to me (in cotton, and in repro-green, one of my most favourite colors).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just wanted to say how much I like yours and Ann's work as well. It's hard to get me to applique but I truly admire it. I work mostly in cotton but have a bit of a wool stash as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I have no way to reply to you or enter the drawing. So sorry!

      Delete
  12. Love your special quilt! Little quilts are so cute on tabletops! I would do mine out of a red civil war repro fabric...I just love red/white or red/cream. The bigger binding is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a FUN little quilt to remind those who have not done applique for a while how to! And not be worried it will ruin a big quilt! Would love to win!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is hard to stitch with those little idiosyncrasies in when you're trying, not so hard when you're not. Your quilt is sweet. Not sure what color I'd choose, maybe red.

    ReplyDelete
  15. adorable piece....in the 80s i had a granny dress made of nearly the exact same calico print...that green with tiny yellow flowers...and me, definitely cotton all the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Dawn it is lovely. A few years back I purchased a book that had some wool applique patterns but never found a supplier that was "cheap"

    I had ordered a beautiful pattern by Lori Smith ( Elizabeth's Pride ) years ago only to discover to my dismay that it was originally designed for wool applique! No WONDER the colors were so vibrant :)

    Over the years I have worked on them in cotton fabrics / just have the center to do now when I get in to the mood :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a delightful little quilt! I'd be tempted to make it in red but your green version is so sweet and unusual. I love the various hearts.

    lizzy at gone to the beach

    lizzzz.d@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I applaud you for your accurate recreation. I always feel like I add enough of my own "idiosyncrasies", I have a hard time copying the original ones. :)
    It is a sweet little quilt.
    When it comes to applique, I am definitely more wool than cotton!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is gorgeous in your green and cream. I can imagine one in brown.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What fun! I love them both. I have way too much wool for someone who "dabbles" in it. I love your little repro. I'm going to try that binding and corner method too. It is nice to learn something new! I subscribe so don't enter me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun! I have dabbled in wool, but nearly always cotton.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore this! I do work with wool and cotton liking them both equally. I would choose perhaps a yellow. It would be cheery for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is very charming and a pattern I have not seen before. The wide binding also makes it kind of cute.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats to you Dawn :)

    Love the look of wool but cotton is cheaper :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well I just love your green version! Charming and quirky, these old quilts are, as individual as each maker. Sounds like you enjoyed every minute spent creating the reel :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My issue arrived today and I was looking forward to seeing your little quilt. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!