Monday, November 7, 2011

Sleep Tight Doll Quilts and Beds Exhibit

This was a special Exhibit of doll beds and quilts at International Quilt Festival in Houston.
I visited this exhibit like many others....lets just say more than once.
To get an idea of size - Each orange sign is 8.5" x 11" paper.  Also, in the link below their are other photos with the sets photographed with a ruler.

"Sleep Tight:  Doll Quilts and Beds Contest"
Little Red Schoolhouses
Judith H. Gunter - Maryland USA  3rd Place Traditional

There's a Rabbit in the Flowerbed
Samantha L. Nixon - Malmo Sweden 1st Place Handmade
More photos HERE

Mamas Rose garden
Donna E. Eng - Miliani, Hawaii Runner Up Traditional

Creative Kantha Tricia Warman - Long Crichel, Wimborne UK 3rd Place Art

Tickled Pink Nancie Roach Second Place Art

Flower Fairy Quilt - Vickie Clontz First Place Art 

Floro Allegro and Friends
Judith Hoffman Corwin - NYC, NY  Runner Up Handmade

Flowing Curves   Judith H. Gunter - Chestertown MD  Runner Up Art Quilt

Lucy Mocha    Luz Maria Hernandez First Place Traditional

Sleeping Sheep   Mimi McKay -  Chicago IL,  3rd Place Handmade

Pineapple Fantasy
Nancy (Nancie?)  Roach  Second Place Traditional

Happy Sleep   Christine Kelly  Second Place Handmade

Each a beautiful work of art!
Great International representation.
More Photos HERE with rulers beside the beds to show size/scale
More details HERE (about the contest sponsors, judges, rules etc)


To view an amazing collection of dolls, beds and quilts - click HERE
More doll information HERE

I have a doll bed and a few doll quilts.  How about you?

21 comments:

  1. Awesome!!! Thanks again for sharing the pictures!! Very inspiring!

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!!!!Just love those dolls, doll quilts and doll beds! Thank you for your post and your pictures of them. Delightful!!!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos of the doll beds/quilts exhibit. It was one of my favorite parts of the show and I didn't take any photos there. Judi Gunter has an amazing doll quilt collection and has exhibited a portion of them at Houston before. I was sorry they didn't have any antiques this year. That was kind of a let-down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, thanks for sharing these darling doll beds. I can see why the first place winner in the Traditional Category won. And yes I do have a doll bed, but no dolls, and a lot of doll quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, they're wonderful! I can't imagine making such tiny quilts. They must have been wonderful to see up close and in person.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow now those are really doll quilts, tiny doll quilts!
    must have been so fun to see, I still need to buy a doll bed, yes I happen to have a few doll quilts :)
    thanks for sharing the pictures,
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing these photos from Houston!! I saw some of Judi Gunther's antique and vintage doll quilts at the exhibit she did at The Quilters Hall of Fame in Indiana several years ago. She has a fabulous collection! I do collect doll quilts but I don't collect doll beds. At least I didn't think I did. But one day I realized I did have 6 doll beds. Does that make me a collector? I don't actively seek them out like I do the doll quilts. They just kind of leap out at me every now and then...and I can't resist once they get my attention. You can see some of my doll quilts on my blog Quilt History Reports at karenquilt.blogspot.com. You can find the doll quilt links under the list of on the left side of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The red and white schoolhouse quilt is my favorite. I don't have a doll bed but would like to. But then, where would I display it? Such a problem on space in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those quilts, great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have no doll bed or doll quilts, but I am in awe of these tiny creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How fun are all those doll quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Would love to have seen that exhibit but your photos are certainly the next best thing! Are the beds/quilts dollhouse scale?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing! But I think I'll stick with making large quilts!
    Thanks for sharing. I think my favorite is the rabbit in the flower bed.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for all the beautiful photos! I love doll bed size quilts...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sadly - I have no doll bed or doll quilts altho I keep asking Santa ;) There were sew many quilts to go back to - I should have gone back to the doll quilts but forgot. I spent a lot of time back in front of the rainbow hexie star. I wish I had also gone back to the "neutral" hexie mosaic...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Greetings from Finland! I love your blog! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing quilts! Thank you so much for sharing, Dawn! The detailed craftmanship is baffeling. I can understand that you went back many times to see them:) I do not think I would have the strength to resist buying a doll bed if I once saw one;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These teeny weeny little quits are quite magical!!! Thankyou for sharing them!! I love to work with small pieces, but these are in a realm of their own, wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Dawn--Thank you for the lovely quilt show--these little beauties are wonderful. I cannot imagine all those teensy stitches...hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!