Monday, February 23, 2015

Star Medallion

I made this quilt in 2003 and I still love it.
Book:  "Reproduction Quilts from the Civil War Period, 1850-1865: Patterns for Quilts, Blocks and Wall Pieces from the Civil War Era"  2002 Judie Rothermel

The center is hand pieced - machine pieced stars, setting and border.  I hand quilted it. Im rotating the quilts on dislay in the house.  I hope you don't mind I share it again!

Several years after I made it I was told there is a similar quilt, stitched in all silk fabrics in a museum.  I will update this post when I get the museum name.  

I've been pinning sleeves on quilts to hang them, and I see I have this one high in the center causing the bottom to wave.


With the popularity of stars, I thought you might like to see some of my fabric combinations.

I liked mixing some prints with various scale and design.

This is the lowest left corner block - you might be able to see some of the hand quilting.

Each block has four prints.






This block has very low contrast with the setting blocks.

I like reversing the placement of light and dark fabric.






This block is on the outer edge next to the flying geese border.

The geese border also includes prints where the light and dark are placed alternately, sometimes...


Have a great week!
Happy stitching,
Dawn

19 comments:

  1. No indeed, feel free to bring out all your old quilts! They will be new to me. :D

    This is beautiful, with all the different stars on the blue background. It deserves it's turn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw the photo of this quilt I was convinced it was vintage. What a wonderful job you have done on this. I love the reverse value placements and the blocks with low contrast. It's a beauty, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh how spectacular. I love it. I see some old Dargates in those blocks. Sure wish I had more of those. What a great quilt. You can share things twice (or even 3 times) anytime!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does look like a quilt from another era. You did a fantastic job of using great fabric pieces in different values to get that look. Thanks for posting this--I have not seen it before!! What a great quilt to rotate into your home decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great star quilt! I love the amazing variety of prints :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful quilt!! I love the colours you've used, and your reversing of light and dark. How interesting to find out there is a similar quilt made in silks in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! I enjoyed zooming in to look at the fabrics - some beautiful repros in there :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you documenting your quilts or do you have an exhibit coming up? It is a great quilt! I've said it before, your fabric stash is enviable and I love the different effects you get from varying the values in the stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No exhibit, but trunk shows for the patterned quilts are always available.
      I do have my collection documented in a database.

      Delete
  9. It is a beauty!! Wonderful choices of reproduction fabrics enhanced by the setting triangles and borders.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the look of reversing the light and dark placement in some of the blocks. It really makes a person look more closely at the design. It's a beautiful quilt. I love looking at quilts multiple times because there's always more to see. Although I don't remember seeing this quilt before. So it was good that you shared it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful star quilt! love the combinations they are so interesting and the contrast is great

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great fabrics! Your quilt is wonderful. Definitely a classic look that would never get 'old'.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice quilt, Dawn. I think quilts tend to wave on the bottom no matter how you hang them even though they are perfectly flat.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are one talented quilter. This is a beauty! Please, keep showing any quilts you want to. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this quilt! Stars are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a beautiful quilt. I really love the grey and blue together and as always your hand quilting makes it that much more special.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy you shared this one again because I wasn't around blogland back then. It is so beautiful. I love your fabric combination. Not something I would have done so I am learning here on how to mix some bigger prints. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a beautiful quilt displaying a great collection of fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!