Friday, September 29, 2017

Netherlands Part Five Regional Fabrics and Dress

Thanks to a wonderful dear friend I came home my Netherlands trip with more treasured Dutch fabrics to add to my collection.

The detail in the flowers is wonderful with the fine picotage dots. Imagine wearing this!

In traditional Dutch costumes several prints and plaids are used. There are many regional variations to the traditional dress and head covers. You can see Staphorst from my trip last year HERE.

The use of a variety of fabrics and styles serves to tell a little story to a knowledgeable observer.  Just like today what we wear to a party is generally different then what we wear doing daily errands.




c. 1960 from old garments
These dark purples prints are traditional regional mourning prints. The darker the print, the deeper the mourning. The wearer was closer to the deceased, where a light purple indicates the mourning for a person less close to the wearer. I am sure there are variations on this based on region and era.

The button is the sign of Zeeland. Which means "sea land".  This region of the Netherlands consists of a series of small islands with a strip of land that borders Belgium. Zealand Buttons have a special design. HERE.




These fabrics are from Bunschoten/Spakenburg in Noord-Holland.


Many here still wear the local garments. I might have the purple print in the wrong stack - it might be light mourning.

These fabrics are used in several parts of the outfit.

These prints are from circa 1960 and many of the pieces were cut from cast off garments.







Fotografie: Folkert Koelewijn
Het Klossie Magazine

To put the prints in context, another friend gave me an issue of Het Klossie magazine with an article.

Note the prints at the shoulder.

The fabric here is heavily starched so-called "kraplappen".

A little more research and I found this You Tube video that shows you the starching prices. It is not in English, but worth watching. I am particularly interested in the second iron and the way she uses the heel feature at the end of the iron.   HERE

The fabrics are also used for the "baffles" which is the flat part of the bodice. Also, sometimes the upper portion of the skirt.








In this view you can see the back of the bonnet, the waist faster
and the back of the bodice.
Another view showing the beautiful fabrics!
NOTE:  I added the words of thanks to the image - they are not part of the fabric

Thank you to my friends who made the 2017 Netherlands trip a success - fun and informative!  
I hope to return one day soon.Happy Stitching,
Dawn
LINKS
Museum Spakenburg HERE
Spakenburg Museum Exhibit Details HERE
Museum Gift Shop Photos HERE
Het Klossie Quilt Magazine HERE
Dutch Fabrics HERE

11 comments:

  1. I've been reading along, just not taking the time to comment. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip and was treated very, very well.:) Lovely to bring back some bits and pieces of more beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fabrics just had to go to you, Dawn, because you even tell this dutch girl some new things I did not know, and I loved the "starching" video. And I do know now that the English word for "baafjes" is "baffles" (such a funny word :)) Enjoy them as much as we enjoyed your lecture. The last photo is sweet ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What beautiful fabrics! I LOVE the one at the top of your post. I look forward to seeing what you make with these :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so interesting, I learned many new things, thank you so much for your research and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bunschoten is just five minutes away from were I live. I grew up with their dress and a mother of a friend of mine still wears her traditional dress. Loved the video you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those fabrics are stunning and it is so interesting that the various purples represent levels of mourning for an individual. Thank you so much for sharing your trip and the fascinating video. I would be in considerable trouble over there as my quilting heart is always drawn to any fabric featuring picotage elements in the design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn this was so interesting ; off to visit your link now :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such an informative and interesting post. It made me proud of our Dutch heritage. It must be interesting for your American friends to learn all about your trip to our little country. You have brought home some beautiful fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just fabulous! I so enjoyed following your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting! I wonder how long this took with old "cast iron" irons. Thanks for sharing this bit of Dutch history.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting post; I love the fabrics!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!